Add some patriotic red, white, and blue colors to your 4th of July meal! Here are a few healthy recipes to enjoy this holiday weekend.
Red White & Blue-berry BBQ Chicken Skewers
1.5 lb chicken breast or thighs, cubed
2 red bell peppers, cut into large chunks
1 C pearl onions
2 C blueberries
¾ C ketchup
½ C red wine vinegar
½ C brown sugar
½ C water
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground pepper
- First prepare the chicken skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, you will want to soak these in water first before putting on the grill.
- Begin by making the sauce. Combine the blueberries, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, water, syrup and spices in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the sauce from heat and place in a food processor or blender to puree.
- Once the skewers are done soaking, slide on the chicken, red pepper and pearl onions in an alternating pattern.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Once grill is hot, place the chicken on a lightly oiled grill.
- Turn the skewers every 3-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (approximately 20-30 minutes.)
- Place a small amount of the sauce in a small bowl. During the last few turns brush some of the sauce from this bowl onto the chicken.
- When the chicken is done, remove from heat and drizzle with the remaining BBQ sauce.
Recipe adapted from: Food Wine Sunshine.
Red, White & Blue Potato Salad
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking Light Magazine
2 C fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
2 C sm red potatoes, quartered
2 C sm blue potatoes, quartered
¼ C red onion, finely chopped
3 large eggs, hard cooked, finely chopped
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
¼ C red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 ¼ tsp salt
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- Place fingerling and red potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min. Drain; cool slightly. Place in a large bowl.
- Place blue potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 min.
- Add blue potatoes, onion, herbs and eggs to bowl. Toss gently.
- Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients. Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to combine.
- Serve chilled.
Red, White & Blue Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Glaze
1 quart strawberries, washed & dried
1 pint blueberries, washed & dried
3 bananas, sliced
2 Tbsp honey
1 fresh lime, juiced
- Cut strawberries in half and bananas in slices.
- Combine all fruit in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together honey and lime juice.
- Drizzle the honey lime glaze over the fruit and stir lightly to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Recipe adapted from: Eating on a Dime.